After
an interview with one of my very close family friends I learned a bit more
about whom nurses are and what they do. Lori Broccolo has been a part of my
life from birth till even now. I asked for a quick interview and of course she
was excited to be of service. I asked her a number of questions about her
career in nursing. I started out with why she even became interested in the nursing
field. As I listened I soon learned that most nurses are inspired by an event in
their life, something that they experienced that directed them to go into a
field where they could care for others.
As
I reviewed the interview I became inspired as Lori explained to me why she
decided to become a nurse, when she was 24 her mother passed away from
non-smokers lung cancer. After going through the struggles of watching her
mother pass on hospice she become introduced to all the people that surrounded
her as she let her mother go. She then
made a promise to herself that after her three sons graduated she would go back
to school and become a nurse. As all jobs, nursing has its positives and
negatives. Not all days are good days; you often have a bad day and even two
bad days in a row. As I asked her how
she was able to deal with those bad days she gave me quote that she was given
by one of her fellow coworkers. “We all have bad days, its normal;
it is a part of life. If you have one bad day, go home, know you did your best,
recharge and come back in the next day. If the same thing happens tomorrow,
repeat what you did today, one or two bad days in a row can be expected. If you
have 3 bad days in a row, you may want to re-evaluate what you are doing and
perhaps start searching for another job, because it is rare to have 3 bad days
in a row here." Lori’s
words are really quite inspiring and I plan on carrying them with me through my
bad days (L.A.Broccolo, Personal Communication, February 17th 2015).
Although
there are some negatives to every job I also enjoyed hearing about how
rewarding her job was to her. She talked about how she was rewarded every
single day by the satisfaction of helping people both physically and
emotionally. Nurses are not only thanked by their fellow coworkers but also by
their patients, even a simple “thank you I couldn’t have done it without you”
from a patient is a inspiration in itself. I truly can say this interview gave
me confirmation that the field I am going into is the right field for me as I
was inspired by my father’s battle and end of life due to cancer, I can’t wait
to walk out of work each day knowing that I made a difference in the patient’s
life as well as the family that fights beside them (L.A.Broccolo, Personal
Communication, February 17th 2015).
No comments:
Post a Comment